Sweet Potatoes with Praline Pecans
Make Something Sweet Today
This recipe is savory, tart and sweet with mild seasonings that don't overpower the delicate flavor of the sweet potatoes or the apples and is a lower fat, lower sugar option for sweet potato lovers everywhere.
3lbs sweet potatoes – peeled and cubed
3 granny smith apples – peeled, cored and cubed
1 tsp salt – (I prefer smoked sea salt)
½ stick unsalted butter melted - 4 tablespoons
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground clove
2 tablespoons molasses
2 cups chopped River Street Sweets Praline Pecans - reserve ½ cup for topping
Optional add ins -
Brown up some Spicy ground breakfast sausage for a protein rich, savory alternative. Makes a tasty breakfast casserole!
Dried cranberries, Dried cherries or Raisins
For sweeter sweet potatoes, add ½ cup brown sugar or honey
For the adventurous, add a 1/3rd cup bourbon
You can use chopped Raw Pecans, Glazed Pecans, Cinnamon Pecans or Pralines in place of the chopped Praline Pecans. (all available online at riverstreetsweets.com or in-store)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Put cubed sweet potatoes in large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to boil over medium heat and Cook 5 minutes at a rolling boil
- Add apples to pot, bring to boil and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gently strain sweet potato and apple cubes.
- Apples should be very soft and sweet potatoes should be chunky but very soft.
- In a large mixing bowl blend butter, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and molasses
- Add the hot potatoes and apples and fold together gently.
- Add chopped Praline Pecans and fold in gently.
- You should have visible cubes of sweet potatoes left in the mixture.
- Spoon loosely into baking dish and top with remaining Praline Pecans
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes and serve
This recipe freezes and reheats well.
We would love to see your recipes too!
Send in your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org - we will test them and choose the best ones to share in our new blog - giving you credit of course! With our best recipe submission contests throughout the season, you could win a $100 River Street Sweets Gift Card too!
Don't forget the Add- Ins...
We love to try new recipes and the best way to do that is to experiment with a variety of flavors. This recipe is courtesy of Raven, our Web and eMarketing Manager. Give it a try and tell us what you think, or, send in your own ideas! We would love to try them.